Thanks for this article Bryann.(1) I think it typifies the problems we have with Cabal control of the media and publishing,
The real question that Ms Jacoby (who defends scientific rationalism) should have asked but apparently didn't is how DUMB is a typical Murikan 5th grader? And it seems the answer is: VERY DUMB – in the sense of ignorant and UNTHINKING.
The obvious follow up question that Ms Jacoby should have then asked is WHY is that the case? BUT she probably would not have gotten her book published if she had asked that question and answered it accurately. The answer of course is that the Rockefellers (with the tutelage and financial help of the well known Rothschild banking family) successfully set out in 1913 to seize control of the Murikan education system along with everything else in the US. Indeed, it was necessary to control the education system in order to ensure that the Rockefellers and their minions COULD control everything else. Why? Because only a generally stupid, ignorant non-thinking mass population would accept loss of personal sovereignty, dignity, and meaningful work, along with the fraudulent currency that steals the proceeds of their life’s labours, and all the rest of the full catastrophe that is the US today.
Ms Cohen and Ms Jacoby's cheap shots at the stupidity of the robotoid US population is really part of the problem NOT the solution. In this context ridiculing individuals because of their ignorance amounts to deliberate misdirection of the debate. It's easy to laugh at ignorance and one can feel superior while doing it. But it avoids having to confront the real problems, namely WHY are Murikans ignorant, what are the consequences of that ignorance and WHO BENEFITS from that ignorance?
And as for Eric G Wilson's warning in `Against Happiness' (What a ridiculous title!) that `American obsession with happiness" could "well lead to a sudden extinction of the creative impulse, that could result in an extermination as horrible as those foreshadowed by global warming and environmental crisis and nuclear proliferation." The mind boggles. Before Mr Wilson can validly opine that Murikan's are obsessed with happiness to the point of planetary extinction he really needs to establish what he MEANS by “happiness”.
Arguably what Murikans are obsessed with is FEAR OF FREEDOM and their ignorance and stupidity stems largely from that fear. If Murikans truly crave happiness there should be some evidence of widespread attempts to achieve that goal. So where is it? It is not obvious in the existing US education, political, social or economic systems and even the sporting, entertainment and consumer mileau in the US is predicated upon the need to make everyone miserable by separating and isolating all individuals from one another via comparison, competition, litigation and false, dehumanising cultural and status values.
The acme of US personal and social evolution seems to be the depersonalisation and objectification of everyone and everything. Human and social values have been totally discounted in favour of the economic rationalist ideology that demands that all beings and things be evaluated in terms of their utilitarian value denominated in money. Moreover, to add insult to injury the "money" which is required to be the sole criterion of value for everything is itself a fraudulent fiction – a chimera conjured out of thin air by a small cabal of financial witchdoctors posing as the high priests of the modern era.
The problem for Murikans as for all humanity is that being endowed with reason and free will imposes a responsibility to use that reason and will rationally ALL the time. Murikans as a society are refusing to do that. They are refusing to see obvious social, political, religious and economic facts and factors that are not only staring them in the face but are enslaving, torturing and killing them and the rest of the world. The current deadlock about the collapsing banking system and illegal foreign wars highlights the catatonic spiritual, psychological, mental and physical condition of US society. Blind Freddy can see that the official fairytale about 911 is just that – a blatant, poorly constructed myth, the conspiracy theory to end all conspiracy theories. Yet Murikans pretend that that blatant and egregious lie justifies killing, maiming and dispossessing millions of (mostly) foreign people and occupying their lands; a process that is not only bankrupting the US but paralysing the global financial and economic system as well.
Ms Cohen also reports that Lee Siegal (in his book "Against the Machine: Being Human in the Age of the Electronic Mob,") inveighs against the Internet for `encouraging solipsism, debased discourse and arrant Commercialization'. Straight faced reporting of that statement would be ridiculous in any serious discussion but then, her article isn't. Presumably she intends to confuse the reader. Certainly that intention is consistent with the rest of her article. To suggest that the Internet has "debased discourse" is like saying the invention of writing or the printing press has debased discourse! Presumably the invention of language is similarly to be disparaged. Ironically (though typically in the modern era in which Rockefeller and other Banksters all but totally control global printing and publishing) Siegal's suggestion that the Internet encourages solipsism constitutes an excellent example of the evil of which he complains. What greater attempt at solipsism could there be than Siegal's pretence that the Internet debases discourse? Clearly Siegal's message is that we cannot be sure of anything on the net and that true knowledge from that source is impossible. Frankly, given the absurdity of Siegal's thesis, I am beginning to doubt that HE exists!
Really, it's hard to be bothered with Ms Jacoby's word pushing. She opines that `something different is happening: anti- intellectualism (the attitude that "too much learning can be a dangerous thing") and anti-rationalism ("the idea that there is no such things as evidence or fact, just opinion") have fused in a particularly insidious way. Not only are citizens ignorant about essential scientific, civic and cultural knowledge, she said, but they also don't think it matters.'
Well Blimey! If this article and the views in it are any guide, I don't blame "citizens" for their alleged "anti- intellectualism" and "anti-rationalism". HOW could this stuff matter? It is a combination of misleading anecdotes and intellectual babbling the only effect of which must be to confuse and mislead readers. WHAT does it add to the sum of real knowledge of US society or its education system? ZILCH! So why bother with it or the pretentious twits that write the books and articles the Bankster cabal want published to confuse and further dumb down the punters.
The insidious message being pumped out by Ms Jacoby with the assiduous assistance of Ms Cohen is that "citizens [are] ignorant about essential scientific, civic and cultural knowledge" supposedly available through them and the US scientific, civic and cultural system they are advocating. YES SIREE BOB! YA BETTA BELIEVE IT!
Sooo, what are these eternal truth(s) that these authors say people should think matters? Modern science is a sick joke in which people like Tesla, Rife, Reich, Schauberger and many others including those who argue that we live in a holographic, electric universe have been marginalised, pilloried, penalised and even incarcerated and killed to prevent their knowledge being disseminated. But what about "civic" knowledge then? Well, does Ms Jacoby know what is actually IN the US Constitution and if she does why isn't she writing books about its total abuse by current so-called CIVIC and judicial authorities in the US? (2) DITTO for Ms Cohen. As for "cultural knowledge" what possible relevance can what Ms Jacoby and Ms Cohen reckon constitutes cultural knowledge have for the average Murikan desperately trying to stave off unemployment and bankruptcy and the loss of their homes and everything else?
These two women understand one thing though. They don't expect `to revolutionize the nation's education system'. Which is just as well because if they did they would not get published because they would actually be trying to SOLVE the problem they pretend to be concerned about and those who control the US education system and most everything else do not want that. Although these authors rail against infotainment – that is what their writing is. And frankly, "American Idol" probably has more information and entertainment value. TV isn't the only media input we need to "turn off" cobbers. There is a lot of static out there and some of it is even more insidiously mind controlling and dumbing down than "reality" and "celebrity" TV. :) Ms Cohen reports Ms Jacoby is surprised at her own 'dependency on electronic and visual media'which'made her realizejust how pervasive the culture of distraction is and how susceptible everyone is'.Apparently Ms Jacoby also finds it hard 'to tune out the entertainment culture'. Given that her book and the report on it are an integral part of that culture of distraction and entertainment her difficulty is not really surprising. Those who live by the culture of distraction must expect to perish by it. So be it. :)
(1) http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/14/books/ 14dumb.html?em&ex=1203310800&en=ed986aa2c486c13d&ei=5087%0A ‘Dumb and Dumber: Are Americans Hostile to Knowledge? By PATRICIA COHEN Published: February 14, 2008
A popular video on YouTube shows Kellie Pickler, the adorable platinum blonde from "American Idol," appearing on the Fox game show "Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader?" during celebrity week. Selected from a third-grade geography curriculum, the $25,000 question asked: "Budapest is the capital of what European country?"
Ms. Pickler threw up both hands and looked at the large blackboard perplexed. "I thought Europe was a country," she said. Playing it safe, she chose to copy the answer offered by one of the genuine fifth graders: Hungary. "Hungry?" she said, eyes widening in disbelief. "That's a country? I've heard of Turkey. But Hungry? I've never heard of it."
Such, uh, lack of global awareness is the kind of thing that drives Susan Jacoby, author of "The Age of American Unreason," up a wall. Ms. Jacoby is one of a number of writers with new books that bemoan the state of American culture.
Joining the circle of curmudgeons this season is Eric G. Wilson, whose "Against Happiness" warns that the "American obsession with happiness" could "well lead to a sudden extinction of the creative impulse, that could result in an extermination as horrible as those foreshadowed by global warming and environmental crisis and nuclear proliferation."
Then there is Lee Siegel's "Against the Machine: Being Human in the Age of the Electronic Mob," which inveighs against the Internet for encouraging solipsism, debased discourse and arrant commercialization. Mr. Siegel, one might remember, was suspended by The New Republic for using a fake online persona in order to trash critics of his blog ("you couldn't tie Siegel's shoelaces") and to praise himself ("brave, brilliant").
Ms. Jacoby, whose book came out on Tuesday, doesn't zero in on a particular technology or emotion, but rather on what she feels is a generalized hostility to knowledge. She is well aware that some may tag her a crank. "I expect to get bashed," said Ms. Jacoby, 62, either as an older person who upbraids the young for plummeting standards and values, or as a secularist whose defense of scientific rationalism is a way to disparage religion.
Ms. Jacoby, however, is quick to point out that her indictment is not limited by age or ideology. Yes, she knows that eggheads, nerds, bookworms, longhairs, pointy heads, highbrows and know-it-alls have been mocked and dismissed throughout American history. And liberal and conservative writers, from Richard Hofstadter to Allan Bloom, have regularly analyzed the phenomenon and offered advice.
T. J. Jackson Lears, a cultural historian who edits the quarterly review Raritan, said, "The tendency to this sort of lamentation is perennial in American history," adding that in periods "when political problems seem intractable or somehow frozen, there is a turn toward cultural issues."
But now, Ms. Jacoby said, something different is happening: anti- intellectualism (the attitude that "too much learning can be a dangerous thing") and anti-rationalism ("the idea that there is no such things as evidence or fact, just opinion") have fused in a particularly insidious way.
Not only are citizens ignorant about essential scientific, civic and cultural knowledge, she said, but they also don't think it matters.
She pointed to a 2006 National Geographic poll that found nearly half of 18- to 24-year-olds don't think it is necessary or important to know where countries in the news are located. So more than three years into the Iraq war, only 23 percent of those with some college could locate Iraq, Iran, Saudi Arabia and Israel on a map.
Ms. Jacoby, dressed in a bright red turtleneck with lipstick to match, was sitting, appropriately, in that temple of knowledge, the New York Public Library's majestic Beaux Arts building on Fifth Avenue. The author of seven other books, she was a fellow at the library when she first got the idea for this book back in 2001, on 9/ 11.
Walking home to her Upper East Side apartment, she said, overwhelmed and confused, she stopped at a bar. As she sipped her bloody mary, she quietly listened to two men, neatly dressed in suits. For a second she thought they were going to compare that day's horrifying attack to the Japanese bombing in 1941 that blew America into World War II:
"This is just like Pearl Harbor," one of the men said.
The other asked, "What is Pearl Harbor?"
"That was when the Vietnamese dropped bombs in a harbor, and it started the Vietnam War," the first man replied.
At that moment, Ms. Jacoby said, "I decided to write this book."
Ms. Jacoby doesn't expect to revolutionize the nation's educational system or cause millions of Americans to switch off "American Idol" and pick up Schopenhauer. But she would like to start a conversation about why the United States seems particularly vulnerable to such a virulent strain of anti-intellectualism. After all, "the empire of infotainment doesn't stop at the American border," she said, yet students in many other countries consistently outperform American students in science, math and reading on comparative tests.
In part, she lays the blame on a failing educational system. "Although people are going to school more and more years, there's no evidence that they know more," she said.
Ms. Jacoby also blames religious fundamentalism's antipathy toward science, as she grieves over surveys that show that nearly two-thirds of Americans want creationism to be taught along with evolution.
Ms. Jacoby doesn't leave liberals out of her analysis, mentioning the New Left's attacks on universities in the 1960s, the decision to consign African-American and women's studies to an "academic ghetto" instead of integrating them into the core curriculum, ponderous musings on rock music and pop culture courses on everything from sitcoms to fat that trivialize college-level learning.
Avoiding the liberal or conservative label in this particular argument, she prefers to call herself a "cultural conservationist."
For all her scholarly interests, though, Ms. Jacoby said she recognized just how hard it is to tune out the 24/7 entertainment culture. A few years ago she participated in the annual campaign to turn off the television for a week. "I was stunned at how difficult it was for me," she said.
The surprise at her own dependency on electronic and visual media made her realize just how pervasive the culture of distraction is and how susceptible everyone is — even curmudgeons. *****************
(2) For instance as regards CIVIC "knowledge" does Ms Jacob know that:
1. The IRS is not a U.S. Government Agency. It is an Agency of the IMF (Diversified metal Products v. IRS etal. CV-93-405E-EJE U.S.D.C.D.I , Public Law 94-564, Senate Report 94-1148 pg. 5967, Reorganization Plan No. 26, Public Law 102-391.)
2. The IMF is an Agency of the UN. (Black's Law Dictionary 6th Ed. Pg 816)
3. The U.S. has not had a Treasury since 1921 (41 Stat. Ch. 214 pg. 654)
4. There are no judicial courts in America and there has not been since 1789. Judges do not enforce Statutes and Codes. Executive Administrators enforce Statutes and codes (FRC. V. GE 281 US 464, Keller v. PE 261 US 428, 1 Stat. 138-178) http: llcaselaw._lp_findlaw, comlscriptsl.getcae.pl?_court=us&_vol+261&invol+248
5. There have not been any Judges in America since 1789. There have just been Administrators. (FRC v. GE 281 US 464, Keller v PE 261 US 428 1Stat. 138-178)
6. New York City is defined in the Federal Regulations as the United Nations. Rudolph Giuliani stated on C-Span that "New York City was the capitol of the world" and he was correct. (20 CFR chapter 111, subpart B 422.103 (b) (2) (2) (also check out Rev. 14 in reference to what happened on 9/11)
7. Murikans own no property, slaves can't own property. Read the Deed to the property that you think is yours. You are listed as a Tenant. (Senate Document 43, 73rd Congress 1 st. Session)
8. You cannot use the Constitution to defend yourself because you are not a party to it. (Padelford Fay & Co. v. The mayor and Alderman of the City of Savannah 14 Georgia 438, 520)
9. The King of England financially backed both sides of the Revolutionary war. (Treaty at Versailles July 15, 1782, Treat of Peace 8 Stat 80)
10. America is a British Colony. (THE UNITED STATES IS A CORPORATION, NOT A LAND MASS AND IT EXISTED BEFORE THE REVOLUTIONARY WAR AND THE BRITISH TROOPS DID NOT LEAVE UNTIL 1796). Republican v. Sweers 1 Dallas 43, Treaty of Commerce 8 Stat 116, The society for Propagating the Gospel & c. v. New Haven 8 Wheat 464, Treaty of Peace 8 Stat 80, IRS Publication 6209, Articles of Association October 20, 1774.
11. Britain is owned by the Vatican. (Treaty of 1213).
12. The Pope can abolish any law in the United States (elements of Ecclesiastical Law Vol. 1 53-54)
13. Murikans are slaves and own absolutely, nothing not even what they think are their children (Tillman v. Roberts 108 So. 62, Van Koten v. Van Koten 154 N.E. 146, Senate Document 43 & 73rd Congress 1 Session, Wynehammer v. People 13 N.R. REP 378, 481)
14. "The People" does not include Murikans (you). (Barron v. Mayor & City Council of Baltimore. 32 U.S. 243)
15. It is not the duty of the police to protect you. Their job is to protect the Corporation and arrest code breakers. Sappv. Tallahasse, 348 So. 2nd 363, Reiff v. City of Philadelphia, 477 F. Supp. 1262, Lynch v. N.C. Dept. of Justice 376 S.E. 2nd. 247.
16. Everything in the "United States" is for sale: roads, bridges, schools, hospitals, water, prisons, airports, etc. I wonder who bought Klamath Lake? Did anyone take the time to check? (Executive Order 12803)
17. Murikans are Human capital (Executive Order 13037)
18. The FCC, CIA, FBI, NASA and all of the other alphabet gangs were never a part of the United States government. Even though the "US government" held shares of stock in the various Agencies. (U.S. v. Strang, 254 US 491, Lewis v. U.S. 680 F. 2d, 1239) http://ca_selaw.Ip.findlaw.Co m/scripts/.qetcase.pi?Court=us&vol=254&invol=491 .
19. A 1040 form is for tribute paid to Britain. (IRS Publication 6209 IMF decoding manual)
20. Murikans are enemies of the State (Trading with the Enemy Act 1933 Act of 1917 & 1933) Trading with the Enemy Act 1933 Act of 1917 & 1933 (People declared the Enemy) Oct. 6, 1917, under the Trading with the Enemy Act, Section 2 subdivision ( c ) Chapter 106 – Enemy defined "other than citizens of the United States…" March 9, 1933, Chapter 106, Section 5, subdivision (b) of the Trading with the Enemy Act of Oct. 6, 1917 (40 Stat. L. 411) amended as follows: "…any person within the United States." See H.R. 1491 Public No. 1. *********************